Call us today on

0844 818 0528



* Note - Some UK postcodes can not be serviced

No-Deal Brexit and Driving Abroad - What You Need To Know

09 October 2019


No-Deal Brexit and Driving Abroad – What You Need To Know

With a potential no-deal Brexit deadline looming, drivers planning a trip abroad are best advised to be as prepared as possible in the event of a no-deal Brexit at the end of October.

Here’s what you need to know about driving in the EU should the UK  leave the UK without a deal at the end of October 2019.

Green Card Insurance


Green Cards are an international certificate of Insurance that is issued by your policy providers within the UK. 

They guarantee that the named motorist has the necessary third-party insurance cover for travel in the country/ countries that they are travelling to or through.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) are advising motorists who are planning to drive within the EU to obtain a physical copy of the Green Card.

Despite discussions regarding wavering the requirement of a Green Card, the ABI is reminding motorists that this has not yet been confirmed by the European Commission. Therefore drivers planning a trip are best advised to obtain one ahead of their trip.

International Driving Permits


If a no-deal Brexit takes place, drivers will be required to purchase an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU states. 

The IDP acts as a supplement to the UK driving licence and can be purchased over the counter at you nearest Post Office.

It is important to ensure that you obtain the correct IDP for the EU Country that you are travelling in. If your trip means that you will be travelling across multiple countries where different IDP’s are required, you will need to purchase both the 1949 and 1968 IPD versions.

Check the GOV.UK website for the most up-to-date information.  

Taking Four-Legged Friends Abroad


Should the UK leave the EU without a deal, the rules surrounding taking your pets abroad will change. The government has urged pet owners travelling to the EU to ensure they are prepared by as much as four months ahead of their trip. The government has listed the below 5 points of things owners need to consider prior to their travels:


1.       You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before it can travel to the EU. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination (whether that’s a booster or initial vaccination). Your vet may recommend a booster rabies vaccination before this test.

2.       Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.

3.       The results of the blood test must show a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/lm.

4.       You must wait four months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you travel.

5.       The vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in an animal health certificate.

GB Stickers

Currently, drivers only require a GB sticker if their car does not have blue EU registration plates that display the ‘GB’ Initials. However, post-Brexit, drivers will be required to display a separate GB sticker even in they have ‘GB’ on their number plate.